Credits: 1 (3 lab hours)
Terms Offered: Spring
Instructor: John G. Jelesko
Prerequisites: PPWS 4504 highly recommended.
A laboratory course designed to illustrate basic physiological principles related to nutrient deficiencies, membrane permeability and composition, water/nutrient absorption and translocation, transpiration, photosynthesis, physiological functions of growth regulators, enzyme activity, and some fundamental plant anatomy.
- Microscope use; plant anatomy
- Measurement of photosynthesis
- Enzyme activity
- Buffers and pH
- Membrane composition and effects of temperature, chemicals
- Thin Layer Chromatography of plant pigments and absorption spectra
- Effects of plant growth regulators and light on seed germination
- Effects of plant growth regulators on shoot growth
- Nutrient deficiency symptoms and hydroponics
- Required: Laboratory manual and lecture supplements available as pdfs on Blackboard