417 Price Hall (0331)
Phone: (540) 231-5757
- PhD, University of California, Riverside, 1980
- M.S., Wageningen University, The Netherlands, 1975
- Pest Management (pathology and weeds section), AT 0434, for agriculture technology.
- Plant Pathology, PPWS 4104
- Principles of Plant Disease Management, PPWS 5204
- Diseases of Crop Plants, PPWS 5214
- Epidemiology of Plant Diseases (a section of PPWS 6004)
- Current or most recent semester's coursepages
- Recent teaching publications:
- Marine, S.C., K.S. Yoder, and A. Baudoin. 2010. Powdery mildew of apple. The Plant Health Instructor. DOI:10.1094/PHI-I-2010-1021-01
- Baudoin, A.B.A.M. 2007. The Plant Disease Doughnut, a Simple Graphic to Explain what is Disease and what is a Pathogen. The Plant Health Instructor. DOI: 10.1094/PHI-T-2007-1221-01
- Baudoin, A., 2004. Plant Disease Notebook assignment offers students a way to customize a course. The Plant Health Instructor. DOI:10.1094/PHI-T-2004-0317-01
- Editor-in-Chief, 2006-2011: Education Center of the American Phytopathological Society/The Plant Health Instructor
Current research centers on biology and control of fungal diseases of grapes, with emphasis on powdery and downy mildew, Botrytis bunch rot, black rot, and sour rot.
- Early detection of fungicide resistance - A survey of fungicide sensitivity of grape powdery and downy mildew (and in earlier years, Botrytis cinerea) was conducted, with focus on strobilurin and sterol inhibitor resistance.
- Colcol, J. F., Rallos, L. E., and Baudoin, A. B. 2012. Sensitivity of Erysiphe necator to demethylation inhibitor fungicides in Virginia. Plant Disease 96: 111-116.
- Rallos, L.E. and A. Baudoin. 2011. Stability of QoI resistance of grapevine powdery mildew in competition experiments and in the field. Phytopathology 101:S274 (Abstract)
- Baudoin, A.B. 2010. Current status of benzimidazole resistance of Erysiphe necator in Virginia. Phytopathology 100: S12 (Abstract)
- Baudoin, A., Olaya, G., Delmotte, F., Colcol, J. F., and Sierotzki, H. 2008. QoI resistance of Plasmopara viticola and Erysiphe necator in the mid-Atlantic United States. Online. Plant Health Progress doi:10.1094/PHP-2008-0211-02-RS.
- Baudoin, A.B.A.M. 1994. Iprodione-resistant Botrytis cinerea in Virginia vineyards. Plant Disease 78: 102.
- Finger, S. A., Wolf, T. K. and Baudoin, A. 2002. Effects of horticultural oils on the photosynthesis, fruit maturity, and crop yield of wine grapes. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture 53: 116-124.
- Baudoin, A., McDonald, S. F., and Wolf, T.K. 2006. Factors Affecting Reductions in Photosynthesis Caused by Horticultural Oil Application to Grapevine. HortScience 41: 346-351.
- Wolf, T. K., Baudoin, A., and Martinez-Ochoa, N. 1997. Effect of floral debris removal from fruit clusters on Botrytis bunch rot of Chardonnay grapes. Vitis 36: 27-33.
An additional area of research has been the evaluation of weed pathogens for their potential for biological control of weeds.
This has included collection and evaluation of pathogens of morningglories, cocklebur, yellow nutsedge, johnsongrass, kudzu, poison ivy, milkweed, hemp dogbane, and others.
A detailed study was made of a smut disease (Ustilago syntherismae) which largely prevents seed production of infected crabgrass. (Johnson, D. A. and Baudoin, A. B. A. M. 1997. Mode of infection and factors affecting disease incidence of loose smut of crabgrass. Biological Control 10: 92-97)
Also evaluated was a rust disease (Puccinia carduorum) of musk thistle (Carduus thoermeri). This rust was introduced into the USA for the purpose of biological control of the thistle. Completed studies include:
- Field tests of the impact of the rust disease on the growth, development, and seed production of musk thistle as well as field tests to confirm the safety of the pathogen to non-target crops (artichoke) and native, endangered Cirsium species.
- Baudoin, A. B. A. M., Abad, R. G., Kok, L. T., and Bruckart, W. L. 1993. Field evaluation of Puccinia carduorum for biological control of musk thistle. Biological Control 3: 53-60.
- Baudoin, A. B. A. M. and Bruckart, W. L. 1996. Population dynamics and spread of Puccinia carduorum in the eastern United States. Plant Disease 80: 1193-1196.
Rose rosette disease distribution: Peck, A.R., Baudoin, A., Hansen, M.A., and Amrine, J.W. Jr. 2003. Recent spread of rose rosette disease in the southeastern United States. Phytopathology 93: S124.